The power of asking the right icebreaker questions is vastly underestimated. Monotonous meetings, disengaged employees, or for just a pick-me-up purpose- a well-intentioned ice breaker will help you aid in more genuine team bonding.
The term ice breaker denotes the use of a certain medium to “break the ice” of a person’s outer surface and get to know his inner thoughts, ideas, and personality. We have found that ice breakers are the simplest way for a group of people to unite on a common ground especially when onboarding a new employee.
However, conducting an ice breaker session is more than asking a great question. According to Tim Hallett, before you break the ice identify what the ice that you need to break represents.
- If you need to bring people together, the ice represents that they have never met before.
- For bringing people of different backgrounds together, the ice represents different perceptions.
- If you bring together people at different levels of the organization, the ice represents the status differences within.
Here is our extensive list of icebreaker questions that we manage to frequently use in our organization. Scroll down and find out if any of them resonates with you.
Work-Related Icebreaker Questions
1. What was your dream job when you were a kid?
2. How do you feel about a four-day workweek where the total hours worked will be the same?
3. The worst job that you’ve ever heard of?
4. What is the one thing that would actually help remote teams to function better?
5. Which one of your colleagues should go on to open his/her own company?
6. Name one colleague who is the most likely to escape a deserted island alive?
7. What is the most memorable thing you bought with your first salary?
8. What is your favorite thing about your team?
9. If given the opportunity to be the boss for a day, which is the first thing you would do?
10. Which team building activity is your favorite?
Similar Article: Appreciation Mail To Team For Better Morale
Funny Icebreaker Questions
11. If trapped in a horror movie, who would be the first one to die from your team?
12. Who is the more likely to cry during an emotional moment?
13. If you had to talk like a cartoon character for the rest of your life, who would you choose?
14. If given the choices of being the best at your worst job or the worst at your dream job; which one would you pick?
15. What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done?
16. The worst advice you’ve followed and regretted?
17. If the title of your autobiography is the name of your favorite guilty pleasure, what would it be?
18. The worst advice you’ve given that others regretted?
19. Which is the lie that you’ve frequently gotten away with?
20. Aliens have landed on Earth and have claimed one of your team members as their spy. You’re the least bit surprised. Who is it?
Similar Article: 20 Team Building Activities For Work
Entertainment Related Icebreaker Questions
21. According to you, what is the most mind-numbingly boring movie ever made?
22. What is the most underrated song that everyone should listen to at least once in their life?
23. If given the choice of having a talk show host narrate your life, who would you choose?
24. Which reality TV show is your guilty pleasure?
25. The movie that had the biggest impact on your life and why?
26. If you could switch your life with any fictional character who would it be?
27. You must choose a fictional world that’ll become the new reality. Which one would you pick?
28. According to you what is the most boring sports to watch?
29. Who would be the first celebrity guest in your very own talk show?
30. You now have the option of only viewing a particular celebrity’s work for the rest of your life. Who do you choose?
Similar Article: 20 Awesome Ice Breaker Games For Work
Icebreaker Questions Based On Daily Life
31. Which one book you’ve always wanted to read but didn’t get around to it?
32. Any particular skill that you would recommend to everyone to learn?
33. What is the one thing that you look forward to doing when you wake up in the morning?
34. Tell us the best advice you’ve ever received in your life?
35. What would be the title of your autobiography?
36. What is your “I wish I had started doing this earlier in my life”?
37. At reaching which milestone would you consider yourself to be successful?
38. Which cartoon character do you find most relatable to now?
39. If given the option to time travel to your past and give yourself some advice, which age would you choose to go to?
40. The most terrible fashion trend that you followed religiously?
Similar Article: 28 Amazing Employee Engagement Activities
Random Ice Breakers
41. What is the coolest website you’ve ever visited?
42. What is that one simple thing that everyone finds it easy to do but you struggle with it?
43. Which is your favorite hack of eating healthy foods?
44. If you were given the option to interact and meet any historical figure, who would you pick?
45. What is the one ice breaker question that should be made mandatory?
46. That one food you never understood why everyone liked?
47. Which is the most adventurous food you’ve ever eaten?
48. What are the 5 things that are the most important to you except friends and family?
49. A book that you think will change lives?
50. What is that one thing that your younger self would have never imagined you doing now?
51. If there were no limits, which place would you want to spend the rest of your life?
Similar Article: 10 Best Team Building Activities for Remote Employees
Do you have any other icebreaker questions in mind? Do tell us in the comments below.
Decoding and Driving Employee Engagement