150 Inspiring Management Quotes To Fuel The Fire
A leader with strong management abilities helps the firm achieve its purpose and business goals with fewer roadblocks. Whether you’re an emerging leader or a manager looking for inspiration, our selected management quotes will infuse you with the burst of energy you need.
Developing a set of management abilities can equip you to achieve long-term success in leadership roles. You might explore managerial responsibilities as you progress in your job, gather experience and develop your professional skills.
According to Officevibe, managers are liable for nearly 70% of the difference in employee engagement. It is no secret that employee engagement affects a huge deal in any business. Managers are stressed and overburdened. And this is a problem that must be addressed.
That being said, folks are always looking for motivation in a variety of genres and places. While some people find inspiration in music, others may seek it in a simple quote.
Here are the top 150 inspiring quotes to get you pumped up.
- The first rule of management is delegation. Don’t try and do everything yourself because you can’t.
~ Anthea Turner
- A manager sets objectives, organizes, motivates, and communicates, sets yardsticks, and measures to develop people.
~ Peter Drucker
- It’s not about money. It’s about the people you have, and how you’re led.
~ Steve Jobs
- Good management consists of showing average people how to do the work of superior people.
~ John D. Rockefeller
- Time management is really personal management, life management. and management of yourself.
~ Brian Tracy
- Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion.
~ Jack Welch
- Good management is the art of making problems so interesting and their solutions so constructive that everyone wants to get to work and deal with them.
~ Paul Hawken
- I’ve actually not read any books on time management.
~ Elon Musk
- Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them.
~ John C. Maxwell
- Management is, above all, a practice where art, science, and craft meet.
~ Henry Mintzberg
- A leader is a dealer in hope.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
- Don’t follow the crowd, let the crowd follow you.
~ Margaret Thatcher
- Leadership is the key to 99 percent of all successful efforts.
~ Erskine Bowles
- Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.
~ John F. Kennedy
- Make your top managers rich and they will make you rich.
~ Robert H. Johnson
- A manager is not a person who can do the work better than his men; he is a person who can get his men to do the work better than he can.
~ Frederick W. Smith
- Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.
~ Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things.
- A man who wants to lead an orchestra must turn his back on the crowd.
~ Max Lucado
- Leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses.
~ Mitt Romney
- To do great things is difficult; but to command great things is more difficult.
~ Friedrich Nietzsche
- The art of leadership is saying no, not saying yes. It is very easy to say yes.
~ Tony Blair
- The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.
~ Ralph Nader
- Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort.
~ Vince Lombardi
- Strong people don’t put others down. They lift them up.
- The quality of a leader is reflected in the standards they set for themselves.
- A great person attracts great people and knows how to hold them together.
~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- Real leaders are ordinary people with extraordinary determinations.
~ John Seaman Garns
- A manager’s job is simple. For one hundred sixty-two games, you try not to screw up all that smart stuff your organization did last December.
~ Earl Weaver
- Great leaders state out loud what they intend to do and in doing so, they get things done.
~ Simon Sinek
- A real leader faces the music even when he doesn’t like the tune.
~ Arnold H. Glasgow
- Leadership is the art of accomplishing more than the science of management says is possible.
~ Colin Powell
- A good leader can’t get too ahead of his followers.
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- Leaders should strive for authenticity over perfection.
~ Sheryl Sandberg
- Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.
~ Albert Schweitzer
- Great managers fight for their people.
~ Liz Brenner
- A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, ‘With you, I can make us a success; I can show you the way.’
~ Arsene Wenger
- Not the cry, but the flight of a wild duck leads the flock to fly and follow.
~ Chinese Proverb
- If I had to sum up in a word what makes a good manager, I’d say decisiveness. You can use the fanciest computers to gather the numbers, but in the end you have to set a timetable and act.
~ Lee Iacocca
- He who has great power should use it lightly.
- There are three essentials to leadership: humility, clarity and courage.
~ Fuchan Yuan
- Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.
~ Warren Bennis
- Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall.
~ Stephen Covey
- A leader is someone who creates infectious enthusiasm.
~ Ted Turner
- Catch someone doing something right.
~ Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson
- Treat employees like they make a difference, and they will.
~ Jim Goodnight
- Don’t tell people how to do things; tell them what to do and let them surprise you.
~ George S. Patton
- One of the most important tasks of a manager is to eliminate his people’s excuse for failure.
~ Robert Townsend
- To be a good manager of people requires both fairness and bluntness.
~ James Cook
- If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.
~ Nelson Mandela
- Find the smartest people you can and surround yourself with them.
~ Marissa Mayer
- One bad day from one member of my staff doesn’t mean they are not really good at their jobs the rest of the time. I play a long game in terms of management.
~ Helen McCabe
- The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided.
~ Casey Stengel
- As a manager, your job is not to teach people talent. Your job is to help them earn the accolade “talented” by matching their talent to the role. To do this well, like all great managers, you have to pay close attention to the subtle but significant differences between roles.
~ Marcus Buckingham
- A manager can’t act like a role model. They need to be a role model.
~ Ben Horowitz
- I think that the best training a top manager can be engaged in is management by example.
~ Carlos Ghosn
- The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor but without folly.
~ Jim Rohn
- Don’t be a time manager, be a priority manager. Cut your major goals into bite-sized pieces. Each small priority or requirement on the way to ultimate goal becomes a mini goal in itself.
~ Denis Waitley
- A leader is the one who can outline the broad vision and the direction and say, here’s where we are going to go, here’s why we need to go there, and here’s how we are going to get there. A manager is the one who actually gets up under the hood and tunes the carburetor.
~ Mike Huckabee
- An employee’s motivation is a direct result of the sum of interactions with his or her manager.
~ Bob Nelson
- Sometimes the manager actually is the glue that holds everything together, and when you take that manager out, sometimes that’s when things start to go really wrong.
~ Mark Hughes
- I think, for every player, it is important he knows the manager believes in him, and it is important he has the confidence of the manager. That helps you to find the best form.
~ Edin Dz
- You can learn a lot about good management by working under someone who is a bad manager.
~ Charles Murray
- To be a good manager, a manager tries to constantly fight to reduce waste.
~ Eliyahu Goldratt
- Those who let things happen usually lose to those who make things happen.
~ Dave Weinbaum
- A company is stronger if it is bound by love rather than by fear.
~ Herb Kelleher
- To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.
~ Robert L. Stevenson
- You take people as far as they will go, not as far as you would like them to go.
~ Jeanette Rankin
- That is what a good manager does - you study and think and discuss, and you come up with a model of playing.
~ Carlo Ancelotti
- Hire people who are smarter than you, and don’t be afraid to work with them as partners. Make it clear that you plan to learn from them, not just the other way around. The right, smart, motivated people respond very well to that approach, particularly coming from a younger manager like I am.
~ Lynn Jurich
- Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able to see further.
~ Thomas Carlyle
- If you light a lamp for someone else, it will also brighten your path.
- Don’t persuade, defend or interrupt. Be curious, be conversational, be real. And listen.
~ Elizabeth Lesser
- If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
~ African Proverb
- Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
~ Muriel Strode
- Whether you think you can or you think you can’t—you’re right.
~ Henry Ford
- Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up.
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
- It’s easy to solve a problem that everyone sees, but it’s hard to solve a problem that almost no one sees.
~ Tony Fadell
- If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
~ John Quincy Adams
- People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives.
~ Theodore Roosevelt
- Leadership is unlocking people’s potential to become better.
~ Bill Bradley
- To be able to lead others, a man must be willing to go forward alone.
~ Harry Truman
- Sometimes it’s good to step back and let others take the wheel. It’s smart to admit your mistakes and let other people win in the idea game. You won’t always be leading the team or have the best idea, and that’s a good thing. Making a mistake isn’t the end of the world!
~ Alari Aho
- In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people and then getting out of their way.
~ Tina Fey
- One cannot measure a manager’s knowledge and performance in a vacuum. It involves their participation in business activities while bringing all of themselves to the process of development, including their spiritual, personal, and skill & ability development.
~ Raymond Wheeler
- Management is about arranging and telling. Leadership is about nurturing and enhancing.
~ Tom Peters
- A key to achieving success is to assemble a strong and stable management team.
~ Vivek Wadhwa
- Profitability is coming from productivity, efficiency, management, austerity, and the way to manage the business.
~ Carlos Slim
- Leadership is working with goals and vision; management is working with objectives.
~ Russel Honore
- Leadership is inspiring people. Management is keeping the trains running on time.
~ Andy Dunn
- The art of effective listening is essential to clear communication, and clear communication is necessary to management success.
~ James Cash Penny
- Management is the opportunity to help people become better people. Practiced that way, it’s a magnificent profession.
~ Clayton M. Christensen
- The best thing you can do is learn from those mistakes so that you continue to get better. That’s the management style or leadership style I believe in, which is push people to their limit such that they can become better than they thought they could be. That certainly has helped me.
~ Lisa Su
- The way management treats associates is exactly how the associates will treat the customers.
~ Sam Walton
- Fit no stereotypes. Don’t chase the latest management fads. The situation dictates which approach best accomplishes the team’s mission.
~ Collin Powell
- For real change, we need feminine energy in the management of the world. We need a critical number of women in positions of power, and we need to nurture the feminine energy in men.
~ Isabel Allende
- The first myth of management is that it exists. The second myth of management is that success equals skill.
~ Robert Heller
- Leadership is all about emotional intelligence. Management is taught, while leadership is experienced.
~ Rajeev Suri
- There is no single development, in either technology or management technique, which by itself promises even one order-of-magnitude improvement within a decade in productivity, in reliability, in simplicity.
~ Fred Brooks
- You need to have a lot of human judgment involved in the financial industry in terms of risk management, in terms of investment decisions, and things that really allow us to blend the best of technology and the human brain.
~ Adena Friedman
- Effective management always means asking the right question.
~ Robbert Heller
- I thought if we could put our hard-working culture as traders into the asset management, it will be a great combination, and we did do that.
~ Ivan Glasenberg
- What should be the aim of management? What is their job? Quality is the responsibility of the top people. Its origin is in the boardroom. They are the ones who decide.
~ W. Edwards Deming
- And I’d say one of the great lessons I’ve learned over the past couple of decades, from a management perspective, is that really when you come down to it, it really is all about people and all about leadership.
~ Steve Case
- The more senior your management position is, the more important it is to connect the organization or the project to the outside world. You know, how does this fit in with what we’re doing? What is the real goal, the real mission?
~ Allan Mullaly
- We need what I have often called an ecological approach to the management of these resources and we do not have that now. We have the inertia of past habits, unsustainable habits.
~ Maurice Strong
- To lead people, walk behind them.
~ Lao Tsu
- As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.
~ Bill Gates
- Leadership is the art of giving people a platform for spreading ideas that work.
~ Seth Godin
- When eagles are silent, parrots begin to chatter.
~ Winston Churchill
- Get the right people. Then no matter what all else you might do wrong after that, the people will save you. That’s what management is all about.
~ Tom DeMarco
- No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.
~ Abraham Lincoln
- Not the cry, but the flight of a wild duck, leads the flock to fly and follow.
~ Chinese Proverb
- A leader must have the courage to act against an expert’s advice.
~ James Callaghan
- Management’s job is to convey leadership’s message in a compelling and inspiring way. Not just in meetings, but also by example.
~ Jeffrey Gitomer Read
- Management must speak with one voice. When it doesn’t management itself becomes a peripheral opponent to the team’s mission.
~ Pat Riley
- Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.
~ Michael Jordan
- First rule of leadership: everything is your fault.
~ A Bug’s Life
- Don’t be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of. One man gets only a week’s value out of a year while another man gets a full year’s value out of a week.
~ Charles Richards
- One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
~ Arnold Glasow
- The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
~ George Bernard Shaw
- My belief is that communication is the best way to create strong relationships.
~ Jada Pinkett Smith
- Goals are dreams with deadlines.
~ Diana Scharf
- Vision without action is a dream. Action without vision is simply passing the time. Action with Vision is making a positive difference.
~ Joel Barker
- I feel that the most important requirement in success is learning to overcome failure. You must learn to tolerate it, but never accept it.
~ Reggie Jackson
- Unity is strength… when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.
~ Mattie Stepanek
- As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people’s ideas are often better than your own. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.
~ Amy Poehler
- A team is successful only when they have a common goal. Not only does this goal need to be set, but it also has to be communicated to each team member.
~ Laura Noodapera
- No one can teach you how to be productive, whether it’s in the office or at home, you have to do that for yourself and see what best works for you. There will be days when you will get to work on dozens of things in a day and there will be days when you will get none done.
~ Nina Žderić
- Focus on results only. Agree with every department/team/person on what is their KPI (key performance indicator). The focus has to be clear, and there has to be a numerical goal agreed upon too. After you have done this, you don’t really care if somebody is working 8 hours a day (which btw is bullshit anyway, you can rarely do over 6 hours of productive work in a day. I know, I Toggld it), you just follow up how people are progressing with their KPIs. The approach is very black & white. It doesn’t allow anyone to hide between busy-work, only results matter.
~ Annika Helendi
- Hire people who are better than you are, then leave them to get on with it. Look for people who will aim for the remarkable, who will not settle for the routine.
~ David Ogilvy
- Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don’t interfere as long as the policy you’ve decided upon is being carried out.
~ Ronald Reagan
- Hiring people is an art, not a science, and resumes can’t tell you whether someone will fit into a company’s culture. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, you need to cut your losses and move on.
~ Howard Schultz
- The conventional definition of management is getting work done through people, but real management is developing people through work.
~ Agha Hasan Abedi
- Good management consists in showing average people how to do the work of superior people.
~ John Rockefeller
- Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don’t want to.
~ Richard Branson
- A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
~ David Brinkley
- You can grow more corn in a crooked row.
~ Wally Altes
- Don’t fake it ’til you make it. Learn it as you become it.
~ Keisha A. Rivers
- Don’t criticize, condemn, or complain.
~ Dale Carnegie
- Own the outcome.
~ Ryan G Wright
- Fierce enough to handle it!
~ Tara Wilson
- Just because it’s what’s done, doesn’t mean it’s what should be done.
- Praise in public, and criticize in private.
~ Jonathan S. Harris
- Although worker motivation and capacity are destroyed as leaders pick power over productivity, it appears as if bosses would rather be in control than have a company work well.
~ Margaret J. Wheatley
- Excellence is in the details.
~ Gregory L. Sullivan
- It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.
~ Walt Disney
- You can’t please everyone, and you can’t make everyone like you.
~ Katie Couric
Wrapping it up
We’ve had the opportunity of witnessing and learning from some bright brains and excellent leaders and managers who victoriously climbed the ladder of success.
Starting from Steve Jobs to Stephen Covey, Richard Branson to Howard Schultz, Bill Gates to Ralph Lauren! People who started with little and went on to become millionaires, people who combined book smarts with street smarts, people-oriented managers, and managers with natural leadership abilities.
These were some of their well-known leadership and management quotes. We hope they encouraged the future leader inside you!